Regarding where to use what.

I think we need to distinguish between system and user metrics here.
First are dedicated for platform operations and they are mostly component
specific. For those the right approach would be to emit them using Kamon.
Second are aimed be used by the users of the platform. Given that the
actions could be scattered across the components and the multi-tenant
nature of the platform - we need to aggregate the metrics at some place,
potentially process them and send them to the tenant-specific backend. Thus
- Kafka.

Eventually we might get rid of activation metadata in Cloudant, but at the
moment I consider sending metadata to both Kafka and CouchDB as a less
disruptive approach. Otherwise we need to overhaul too many corners.

regards, Vadim.