I also click on the clean and lean upgrade path, with gradual improvements
to the existing system (which is production-proof), as Michael and Rodric
are suggesting.

At the same time I see how Go would make sense from the Kubernetes and
Knative impl POV, how the trends favor Go over Scala [1], [2], and the
potential benefits from addressing a larger dev audience. @Markus, feel
free to keep me honest if this is where you're coming from.

Trying to keep our options open, I'm thinking: why not take Markus'
challenge, and design these enhancements now to support polyglot
implementations in the future ? This would be the important decision we can
take. BTW, for the data plane itself, we could go at even lower levels to
Envoy or Nginx, to provide superior performance, should we choose to.

[1] -
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F091hdj,%2Fm%2F09gbxjr

[2] - https://octoverse.github.com/