On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 9:44 AM, Zoltan Borok-Nagy
<borokna...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> I would just like to mention that the fmax() / fmin() functions in C/C++
> Math library follow the aforementioned IEEE 754-2008 min and max
> specification:
> http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/numeric/math/fmax
>
> I think this behavior is also the most intuitive and useful regarding to
> statistics. If we want to select the max value, I think it's reasonable to
> ignore nulls and not-numbers.

It should be noted that this is different than the total ordering
predicate. With that predicate, -NaN < -inf < negative numbers < -0.0
< +0.0 < positive numbers < +inf < +NaN

fmax appears to be closest to IEEE-754's maxNum, but not quite
matching for some corner cases (-0.0, signalling NaN), but I'm not
100% sure on that.