Hi Jim,
I remember chatting with Jignesh Patel about it at the time.
Since his company locomatix was acquired by twitter we had him as an
adviser for some time.
That sounds like an interesting possibility. It's not that fresh in my mind
but I'd say from the storage perspective it's a variation of bit packing.
right?
We would need an implementation of a runtime for this to make sense, so I
suppose that the impala team is looking into implementing this?
It would be interesting to have this type of "compressed" vector in Arrow
too. But I don't know if you're looking into Arrow on your end
Cheers,
Julien