This comment
<https://github.com/apache/phoenix/pull/1810#issuecomment-1945998086> got
me thinking.

Most of the community (i.e. SFDC and CLDR) does not particularly care about
Hadoop and HBase dependency versions, as these are meant to be overridden
anyway,
and we both build our own binaries.
However, for downstream projects that use Phoenix, old CVE-ridden Hadoop
versions in the public maven artifacts can be a problem.

While we cannot influence CVEs coming from Hadoop and HBase (technically we
can, but it would be a bad idea to tamper with non-direct dependency
versions),
we can at least make sure that we use reasonably new Hadoop versions for
building Phoenix (and including those in the public artifacts)

Hbase branch-2.4 uses Hadoop 3.1.3 by default, but it switches to 3.2.0
when being built on JDK11+.
Hbase branch-2.5 uses Hadoop 3.2.4. (but we still use 3.2.3)

Based on the above, I think that we should bump the default Hadoop version
to 3.2.4 for each supported HBase profile.
The main reason we stick to the Hbase Hadoop versions is that we've often
been bitten by binary incompatibilities
between Hadoop minor versions, but I think that using the latest 3.2 point
release should be safe.

If there are any problems, the tests will find them, most of those
incompatibilities manifest in minicluster anyway.

What do you think ?
Can you think of anything that this would break ?
We can also discuss going straight to 3.3.x, but we can certainly run some
tests at least to see the results.

I have opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-7216.
I suggest treating this as an 5.2 blocker (at least until we decide not to)

Istvan