Hi,

As far as I see it only reduces the amount of memory held while the file
was open, closing correctly already freed up the memory in previous
versions as well. It also only was visible with read-only access as then we
do not use memory-mapping. The user seems to have a very large file at some
point which consumes lots of memory during reading the content and thus the
memory usage spiked considerably here.

I think we introduced File Backed Data Source in the mainstream via the
switch to NPOIFS and the actual memory usage later on with a fix for an
actual memory leak in NIO Java classes where we needed to put in a
workaround to release memory.

Not sure if it is worthwhile to mention in the release notes as we did not
do any measurements of actual effect.

Dominik.