> 3. Use XmlBeans to "Weave-in" some additional interfaces into the CT_...
> classes to handle this
Most of the time, I thought about this, I didn't want constant changes in the
schema jar.
But now we have a common type loader, and we could put a bit extra magic in:

Not sure if this works, but the POIXMLTypeLoader provides the classloader to
the xmlbeans
schema type loader. We could extend the xmlbeans implementation classes and
inherit
from a common interface. If the classloader determines there's a custom
implementation
class, e.g. by some package/classname convention, it could instantiate this
instead of
the original class. The problem is, the original class has to be instantiated
too, so I don't
know how that recursion would be handled sanely yet without checking the caller
stack ...

If you think about how it would be done with Jaxb ... you probably would add
the interfaces
to the generation config and create a new schema jar. I think this should be
not too
difficult with xmlbeans too ... (and we had already a discussion about that ...
but I can't find it :( )...
So if you don't mind having more often updated schema jars, I would prefer this
way.

Andi