Yet another reason to consider package reorganization.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Burch [mailto:n...@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2018 6:15 AM
To: dev@poi.apache.org
Subject: Single Java 9 module jar?

Hi All

>From my understanding of Java 9 modules, you basically can't have one package
>split across multiple jars. This is an issue for us, as we do split things
>betwen core, scratchpad and ooxml, to permit people to minimise their jar
>sizes by excluding components they don't want.

Longer term, we could maybe look at having per-component jars. In the short
term... I think if we just bundled the 3 jars together and dropped in a module
info file, that'd fix things for Java 9 module users at the expense of them
having to get all of POI (no exclusions).

Build wise, it'd be really simple - just generate an extra jar with the
contents of the 3 base jars included, along with the module info file, and call
it something like poi-all-java9.

What do people think of this idea? Any downsides? Comments? Suggestions?

Also, would David North like to share his Java 9 module slides from his talk a
few weeks back? :)

Cheers
Nick