If this sound ok, I propose the process be:
1) inclusion in the gallery is a PR to the yaml gallery file. This is
reviewable by all but takes only one committer to approve and merge.
2) submission for inclusion in the project can be a PR to the new templates
directory as Simon suggests. But this may require a more formal vote, and come
with some commitment for support and possibly consideration of the author for
committer status.

Someone who knows Apache rules better than me may know the type of vote to have
for #2, maybe this is only informal review and single committer acceptance too
as long as the committer is willing to support the template.

As far as the Salesforce templates marked official, I’d hope that most would be
donated. According to the proposed rules all we need is a PR for each. And
again a big thanks to Salesforce!