Hi -

There is an official release policy -
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#policy

It does not include GitHub as a source of official releases.

Releases are acts of the Foundation through each PMC.

Perhaps that is something to be discussed on legal-discuss@, but that would
mean a change to a well established Foundation Policy and would breach the
legal shield which protects you as VP, the PMC and the Release Manager.

Regards,
Dave