Hi, Michael
> In this case, the consumer does not have the source of truth for the
> readPosition. It would leave the new protocol field for `readPosition`
> empty and the broker would use its source of truth for the read
> position.
application has received all the messages by application thread. we also need a
correct `startPosition`, right? but in your way, we will think about
the consumer
hasn't received any messages.

> > why do we need to invoke `BlockingQueue.take` and `synchronized` in the
> > same logic? it's a bad code.
>
> We don't need to synchronize this code here because the logic will
> come after the consumer has been disconnected from broker a and before
> it is connected to broker b.
The application takes a message from the queue then reconnect,
the SubCommond can use the right startPostion? example:
1. application receives one message with `MessageId = 1`
2. consumer reconnect discovers the queue is empty, and the
lastDequeMessageId doesn't change.
3. consumer sends a subcommand with MessageId.earliest, the `MessageId = 1`
will redeliver from broker to client consumer, right?

As we can see in the example, the application also can receive
`MessageId = 1`, right?
> We would not need to lock here because we do not enqueue new messages
> after we've been disconnected from the broker and before we've sent
> CommandSubscribe.
we can see the code [0], the thread has changed.
Where do we guarantee that no new messages will come in?

> Ultimately, I think a protocol solution will yield better results,
> especially since we'll want to implement this feature in the other
> client languages.
The problem of the resetting cursor can be optimized in the future,
but can you ensure the
correctness of all the cases I mentioned above? IMO, if we use my
design, client change,
we don't need the broker to make any changes. its simple and it's easy
to implement.
I can make sure it's completely correct, I can make sure it's
completely correct. In your design,
I currently do not see a closed-loop implementation that can achieve
at least in the java client.

Thanks,
Bo