Hi Matteo:

> On Jul 31, 2017, at 5:10 PM, Matteo Merli <mme...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Pulsar Team,
>>
>> I’ve been doing my checks so far so good. I do have two concerns:
>>
>> The license for Aspect J is the EPL 1.0 which is Category B -
>> https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b
>>
>> Is this optional?
>>

> We use AspectJ to instrument ZooKeeper server and client, in order to
> collect and expose metrics that are not available in ZooKeeper itself.
> At this point is not optional and it's not possible to turn it off.

If someone took the Source release and built the product then AspectJ would be
included. This means that they would need to take an EPL 1.0 license. It is my
understanding that this must be avoided.

I think that we can probably include this in the first Incubating release.
These issues are why we incubate.

I would ask if there is another AOP that could be used to expose ZK metrics?
For example, I wonder what Apache Solr or BookKeeper do.

> I've been reading the Cat-B section and, in my understanding it should be
> fine to include it in form of binary dependencies.
> Quoting from that page:
>
>>> Software under the following licenses may be included in binary form
> within an Apache product if the inclusion is appropriately labeled (see
> below)
>
> and
>
>>> By including only the object/binary form, there is less exposed surface
> area of the third-party work from which a work might be derived; this
> addresses the second guiding principle of this policy.
>

> Also - is everything in the binary’s notice file necessary?
>>
>> I have a feeling that a DEPENDENCIES file might make sense.
>

> I have created 2 different NOTICE files, one for src and one for the bin
> dist package.
> I have been following the guide at http://apache.org/legal/
> src-headers.html#notice plus I've peaked at what other TLPs are currently
> including in NOTICE files.

It looks good, let’s see what happens when the VOTE goes to general@incubator,
or if any of the other mentors weighs in on this.

> The bulk of the file comes from :
>
>>> The remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for required third-party
> notices.
>>> The NOTICE file may also include copyright notices moved from source
> files submitted to the ASF.
>
> Basically, I've interpreted this as to include the NOTICEs from all the
> dependencies. In most cases it was just the copyright line. In other cases,
> like Netty, the NOTICE file was much bigger.
>
> I'd be glad to slim it down :)

Yup.

Regards,
Dave