I'm not sure if we are seeing different things, or just disagree on how
well the documentation works when using IE8.

This is what I see for the Java broker docbook content when using IE8 and
Firefox
http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/website/2ndJuly2013/java_broker_book-ie8.png
http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/website/2ndJuly2013/java_broker_book-ff.png

Is this what you get? The content being in a bolder and larger font than
when using Firefox is a little annoying but obviously survivable, however
that it also dwarfs the headings is more of an issue and for me makes the
documentation significantly more difficult to use. Although annoying, I can
overlook the links magically dropping on to new lines (it doesnt seem to do
it all of the time, so that might even be an issue with the docbook source).

The headings not being prominent also seems to be an issue in other areas,
though in a different way than within the docbook content, e.g:

Homepage:
http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/website/2ndJuly2013/home-ie8.png
http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/website/2ndJuly2013/home-ff.png

Documentation page:
http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/website/2ndJuly2013/documentation-ie8.png
http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/website/2ndJuly2013/documentation-ff.png

I am not suggesting that we need to have anything like parity with the
modern browsers, but I do think we should ensure the new site doesnt seem
actively hostile to those still stuck on older browsers like IE8 (which is
unfortunately still a lot of people).

Robbie