At Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:52:30 +0100,
Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> > I've been working on typed versions of these benchmarks, and some are
> > faster than the untyped versions (including the mandelbrot benchmark,
> > whose typed version is ~30% faster and does not show the random
> > behavior discussed above).
>
> Why is this? I thought Typed Scheme had no influence in compiled
> code. Or did that change in Racket?

We're working on an optimizer that uses type information from Typed
Scheme to replace some operations with their unsafe (faster)
equivalents. Currently it works on float and pair operations, but
we're working on expanding that.

It's not on by default, but if you want to try it, use:
#lang typed/scheme #:optimize

Eventually, it will be turned on by default, but it's still under
heavy development.

I don't think the optimizer is in 5.0, so you would want to try it
from git.

Vincent