I recall your proposal from back then, and I will give you my thoughts:

1. a 'remote url' require (which is what Planet boils down to) imposes a
serious cost overhead (for compilation) and a connectivity overhead (suppose I
send you code and you wish to compile it on your netbook while on the subway).
People who get this kind of code should be aware of it. At a minimum, the path
should start with /planet/  and that'll set it apart. (There's more, such as
versioning.)

2. it is easy to find and fix collects code. Planet's download mechanism would
have to change a lot to enable that.