Colm,

Perhaps you are using the Atlas service-def from Ranger master, against Atlas
from branch-0.8 (or from master before ATLAS-2459)? Earlier Atlas versions use
a different authorization model, which don't allow access controls at
instance/type levels. Please try with Atlas from master branch.

Hope this helps.

Madhan