Can we move to git, without moving to GitHub?

https://www.linux.com/blog/apache-hadoop-transitions-git

A concern I have with moving to GitHub is DCMA take down notices and IP:

https://github.com/github/dmca

The Apache foundation provides us with legal support as well as governance.

I always thought we could find a common code base that people can agree on, without hobbling the abilities or ambitions of those that want to do more.

The next steps for me, when I have time, will be to update trunk version to River 2.3.0 from River 3.0.0, update the release notes, generate and sign the release artifacts with our new code signing certs, that Apache recently paid for, for our next round of voting.

I'm not ready to admit defeat yet, that's what the attic represents. The project has survived longer periods of stagnation or disagreement in the past, such as during incubation and become active again.

Regards,

See https://attic.apache.org/ for an introduction.

The question I am raising is whether River is viable as an Apache project, not whether it is a valuable body of code. Your second paragraph is exactly my point.

Apache brings some good stuff to its projects in the form of licensing with carefully controlled provenance and signed, tested releases. The downside is a process that is incompatible with Github, and some bureaucracy around the release process.

If that is not currently the right trade-off for River the best thing to do is to move to the attic. Any individual, or group of individuals, can download the code and use it any way they like that is compatible with Apache's license, which allows a lot. In particular, people who agree on a direction can start their own Github repository based on the River code. They do have to preserve some notices and make it clear that they have modified the code. See http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 for details.

Patricia