On 7/5/2016 1:26 AM, Peter wrote:
Can we move to git, without moving to GitHub?

Not currently. There is an experiment underway for a system that uses GitHub with an Apache-controlled mirror. I will look again at the status of that project.

We can get a read-only git mirror. See http://www.apache.org/dev/git.html

https://www.linux.com/blog/apache-hadoop-transitions-git

A concern I have with moving to GitHub is DCMA take down notices and IP:

https://github.com/github/dmca

The Apache foundation provides us with legal support as well as governance.

The git and legal issues are very closely related. One of Apache's objectives is to be able to tie every change in any Apache code to a license agreement. The foundation wants to be able to say, for example "That block of code was checked in on date X by person Y, and here is an ICLA from Y that was in effect on date X."

As I understand the issue, normal Git is too flexible to give the required provenance tracking.

I always thought we could find a common code base that people can agree
on, without hobbling the abilities or ambitions of those that want to do
more.

The next steps for me, when I have time, will be to update trunk version
to River 2.3.0 from River 3.0.0, update the release notes, generate and
sign the release artifacts with our new code signing certs, that Apache
recently paid for, for our next round of voting.

I'm not ready to admit defeat yet, that's what the attic represents.
The project has survived longer periods of stagnation or disagreement in
the past, such as during incubation and become active again.

OK - I'll wait to see what happens.

Patricia