I'm wondering if I'm missing a step here. This is what I've done:

1. svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/river/jtsk/modules
2. cd modules/modularize/apache-river
3. mvn package

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[ERROR] [ERROR] Some problems were encountered while processing the POMs:
[WARNING] The expression ${pom.version} is deprecated. Please use
${project.version} instead. @
[ERROR] Child module
/Users/dreedy/projects/apache-river/modules/modularize/apache-river/phoenix-activation
of
/Users/dreedy/projects/apache-river/modules/modularize/apache-river/pom.xml
does not exist @
[ERROR] Child module
/Users/dreedy/projects/apache-river/modules/modularize/apache-river/river-logging
of
/Users/dreedy/projects/apache-river/modules/modularize/apache-river/pom.xml
does not exist @
 @
[ERROR] The build could not read 1 project -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR]   The project org.apache:river:3.0-SNAPSHOT
(/Users/dreedy/projects/apache-river/modules/modularize/apache-river/pom.xml)
has 2 errors
[ERROR]     Child module
/Users/dreedy/projects/apache-river/modules/modularize/apache-river/phoenix-activation
of
/Users/dreedy/projects/apache-river/modules/modularize/apache-river/pom.xml
does not exist
[ERROR]     Child module
/Users/dreedy/projects/apache-river/modules/modularize/apache-river/river-logging
of
/Users/dreedy/projects/apache-river/modules/modularize/apache-river/pom.xml
does not exist
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e
switch.
[ERROR]
please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1]