The only dependant spring class is
org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter on the
DeviceResolverRequestFilter which can be dropped, but does reduce the
overhead of the filter.

Tablet defaults currently to mobile.  Roller could be enhanced to use more
rendering views (standard, mobile, tablet, etc) which does make managing
the design easier (less csmess) but a whole lot more work/duplication.  I
guess why frameworks are switching to mobile first (Foundation, Bootstrap)
which makes supporting multiple devices easier (based on viewport size
rather than the actual device.

Cheers Greg