Hi Alex,

> Hi Carlos,
>
> I have a WP-based blog, so I understand how easy it is to write some text
> and have it look nice.  But I'm still confused about who owns what.  Does
> Envato/Greatives own the look and feel of royale.codeoscopic.com or do
> you?

codeoscopic owns a license of movedo theme.
anyone that buys the license (59$) will own it, so I think it's not a huge
quantity of money

> I understand that Royale is tuned more towards web applications but
> to my mind, I see more and more web sites being about interactivity rather
> than just displaying text and images.  Even blog commenting and upvoting
> looks like an app to me.

The two worlds interesect, that's evidently, but are different beast. I
tried to make in the past
some website with Flex, and although I did it and we get some cool effects,
in the end it wasn't the
right tool for the job. I did as well an Application in wordpress with some
plugins due to time restrictions
and while I did it, again it was not the right tool for the job and many
things was very limited.

> I would like to some day use Royale to create the page you've prototyped
> at royale.codeoscopic.com and maybe enhance it by having a Royale news
> feed or some other backend connectivity for some of the content.  But can
> we replicate the look and feel of what you have prototyped and put that
> under ALv2?  I think we have to find a way to make that possible.  The
> theme or CSS that we use to replicate your prototype may not be our
> default theme/CSS, but it should still be a valid theme or CSS file and
> components.

without doubt, but for me this is not the right time to do it. As Harbs
already agree, we need
to put a website online ASAP.

We can always come back and with time, can make that work. But IMHO, we
need to choose
an strategy and see what things are needed first and organize efforts. For
me UI theme is more need than replicate something that we already have.

> That's why I'm concerned that working from Movedo is going to leak into
> other things we want to do.  But if we start from scratch and try to
> replicate the visuals you've chosen, I would hope we can get something
> that looks similar quickly and then invite more folks to help tune it.
> And as Harbs says, I'm not asking you to do that work, someone else can.
> What you've done already is significant and very helpful and I think you
> made the right choice of using your WP skills to create it quickly.

Right, but for me that work could fit into Royale examples, but would not
be of much use in the framework

> If we were to reproduce your prototype in Royale, I would want to create
> re-usable components such as:
> MenuBar
> SearchShareUserProfileMoreMenuBar
> TopBar (that holds all of the icon, title, MenuBar and
> SearchShareProfileButtonBar)
> IconTitleTextPanel
> And more...

I think you are right if we want to recreate the website and make Royale
components...again for me this is and example.

But, if I start to create a styling that could fit more use cases and be
the default Express Component Set face? Don't you think that work would be
more valuable? I think so, and is what I want to contribute next.
That would be more "application" style and less "web" style. based on that
work we can make more theme projects like Apache Flex already has and have
an Application property "theme" to switch between themes. I think that is
what I think people migrating from Apache Flex SDK expects.

> Then someone else can come along and assemble their own site from these
> pieces.

completely right, but expect many few people doing that since, or at least
very residual, since there are other tools far better to do the job. If we
want to go that route I think we will need to focus in many task that will
ease that kind of target and make Apache Royale good in that area. For
example, routing. For Royale to make good websites, routing is essential,
and no body will use it without be able to configure deep linking in a
reliable and useful way.

> Back in the Adobe days, some folks actually took the FlexStore example,
> modified it slightly and deployed it in production for their own products.
> We didn't care that they pretty much used the same look-and-feel.  I think
> we want to make the same sort of thing possible for Royale.

Alex, I think this is possible. In fact, all you expose is completely
right, but I want you to think in how many hands have we now. Many of this
things can be done if we get more people on board, but for this to happen
we need to unblock what we have, and go to other things we need. If I need
two things (website and themes), I prefer to have 1-1 than 2-0. And in some
months from now, we always can come back and make the website in our
technology, and maybe even change it for something fresh again.

That's my 2ctns.

Carlos

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>