The getting started page is confusing to me. Is it getting started developing
apps or getting started contributing to the framework?

That’s two very different things and two different setup paths.

I also agree with Piotr that we need more than one set of instructions.
Ultimately, I’d like to split up the instruction sets for contributing to the
different pieces. Someone contributing to the framework should not need to
build the compiler. etc.