> I’m 99.9% sure that browsers mark the structure as dirty when something is
> written, but none of the actual calculations and rendering happen until
> something is read or the next rendering cycle in the browser happens.
>
> I’m not sure if we’re disagreeing here.

We are not, just finding common ground in terms of terminology and point of
view.

> One question I have is what the performance implications are of using CSS
> vs. locally specified element styles (where the CSS does not need to be
> calculated from CSS declarations). Logically, local styling of elements
> should be more performant. I’m not sure what kinds of optimizations
> browsers have in terms of CSS lookups (and whether this is something even
> worth considering).

I'm pretty sure you'll be unable to measure any performance differences
between using a tag attribute (e.g. 'width') or a CSS property (e.g.
'style.width'). I would think these are simply aliases for some lower level
object field.

If you want performance optimization, I think time is better spent making
sure the most is gotten from the GCC minification and stuff like that. And,
as always, beware of premature optimization ;-)

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27