On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 12:41 AM, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.invalid>
wrote:

> Hi Om,
>
> I'm not sure what your definition of "direct dependency" is, but we
> already have Maven stuff in the source package so we can directly publish
> Maven artifacts to Maven central.  What is wrong with having NPM stuff in
> the source package as well?

If something went wrong with an npm release, we will need a new release of
the Source and Binary artifacts.  That takes a much longer time.  We should
avoid a scenario like the dependency between the SDK and the Installer,
which sometimes requires a new release of SDK for pushing out changes to
the Installer.

> The plan is currently to run the Maven release steps, which will create a
> set of 3 source artifacts (one per-repo), then run an Ant script that
> turns those 3 source artifacts into one source artifact that we vote on,
> along with two IDE-friendly binary artifacts (with and without SWF
> support), and dozens of Maven SWCs and JARs, and, as the scripts are/were
> currently setup, the two IDE-friendly binary artifacts should have been
> valid NPM artifacts.  Once the vote is approved, the Maven artifacts go to
> Maven Central, the IDE-friendly artifacts go to dist.a.o, and
> theoretically, those same artifacts get published to NPM (unmodified).
> And that can all be scripted.

I don't get the part where it has to be unmodified.  Right now, if I need
to change the package.json, I need to push a fix, wait for a nightly build
before I can test it out.  If we do it my way, composing the npm package is
a completely separate process without having to wait for sdk changes to be
propagated.

> I don't know NPM that well, so maybe something does have to change in
> package.json before actual publication, but if not, I don't understand why
> the RM should need to do more than just run "npm publish" once or twice.
> IMO, it is sort of cheating to modify package.json or any other files
> after a vote on those files to create the NPM artifacts.

Only if package.json is part of the source artifact.  I don't see the need
to have package.json file and other npm related scripts in the source or
binary artifacts.

> Also, I think I proved that the Ant script on the CI server can create
> valid NPM artifacts for nightly builds.  I would think we would want that
> instead of needing some manual step to make nightly builds available for
> NPM users.

Anything that is manual can be scripted.  My goal is to make an "publish to
npm" script available that can be tacked on to the current release
process.

> It sounds like you are basically reverting all of the NPM work I just did.
> :-(

I'm sorry about that.  I was not paying attention to your commits in this
area. What exactly am I reverting?  The stuff I am doing right now is in
addition to what you have already done.

> How were you planning to provide nightly builds and not modify
> approved sources to publish NPM artifacts?

I sent a couple of emails about this a while ago.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/86253b3e04f138d7c4ed6f1769c2654da6d47b8ca10c88b7dc582d91@%3Cdev.royale.apache.org%3E
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/66e1ee3ce5ce0294b18913c83c794a8819893ba9bb73e77f55b5cfce@%3Cdev.royale.apache.org%3E

I am yet to get to this part.  But we need to sort off agree on a path
before I can proceed.