'I don’t think we’ve dealt with a lot of children changing sizes (other
than Images loading late and a few other things) so it may be time to
listen to widthChanged/heightChanged/sizeChanged as children get added if
there isn’t already code doing that.'

That would be another way of doing it. There is already this code [1] that
is swf-only but seems to only be relevant before sawInitComplete.

But if the children run their layouts when their own size changes, then
they can notify their parent as well if the size changed either before or
during layout. That's sort of what I was trying to do with the
ContainerView change I mentioned earlier. It checks size for change in
beforeLayout and again in afterLayout and then requests parent layout if it
thinks the parent needs to do something that could affect parent layout or
even re-apply its own rules to the current target. In this way there is not
a need to add listeners to every child. But I expect there are some
downsides or things I cannot see with what I did so far because I have not
spent a lot of time in this code, as you have. I'll post more details in
the github issue at my EOD.

1.
https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/blob/9c70b052a6fef3ebe7c6a07ca887af4f7381d46f/frameworks/projects/Core/src/main/royale/org/apache/royale/core/LayoutBase.as#L131