> Turns out I was wrong and JS LayoutBase is not listening for
> widthChanged/heightChanged/sizeChanged.  That was SWF-only code I saw
> earlier.  IMO, that's the first thing to change by overriding
> handleChildrenAdded in BoxLayout and other MX Layouts.  I don't think Basic
> layouts need to watch children for size changes.

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier. Not only was it swf-only, it was only prior
to 'sawInitCompleted' (or whatever the exact name for that flag is, going
from memory).

For the 'handleChildrenAdded' thing it  also needs to cover
'handleChildrenRemoved'. Doing things this way would mean adding the 3
size-related listeners on 'add' child and then removing them on 'remove'
child. But I still think that could be avoidable.
Why? Because the children are already listening to these events for
their own layouts. Their own layouts respond to their size changes. So the
question is : when does the parent need to know about the child's size
change: is it before it does it's own layout, or after (and could that
requirement be different for some 'parent' layouts)? The child's own layout
process can inform the parent in either case via beforeLayout (where the
parent could even signal to the child not to continue its own layout, in
which case presumably the parent will simply 'take over') or afterLayout(),
which could trigger a re-flow downwards from the parent - I definitely did
not do all this with the 'workaround' I already added, but maybe there is
something to this approach? On the other hand, if as you suggest, the
parent layouts are also adding their own listeners to each child, then
assuming the execution order of the size change listeners on the children
will be deterministic in terms of when the parent layout runs its listener
versus when the child's own layout runs its listener, it seems to me that
adding individual listeners to each of the children could be doubling up on
something that is already possible without doing that (just by thinking
about it in a different way : 'the children layouts are already listening
to those events, and it is possible for them to talk to their parent
layouts').
If all the MXRoyale layouts were doing something like the 'measure if
needed' before the layout, then maybe it could actually mimic the 2 passes
of the Flex approach, using beforeLayout() and afterLayout() to advise the
parent layouts... just pondering this, not at all sure yet.

Also UIComponent's setActualSize() should set the noEvent flag on
> setWidthAndHeight.

I assume that could work if the layout flow is always from the root of the
display tree downwards, same as Flex. But if it is signaling up to let
parents know that a child's own layout caused some change that should be
interesting to the parent, I am not so sure how that would work.

The reason I'm suggesting these changes is because I think that's closer to
> what Flex does.  I don't think Flex has logic like
> sizeChangedBeforeLayout/sizeChangedDuringLayout logic.

Yeah I get that. But unless we actually do the 'measure from bottom-up'.
'layout from top-down' flow as Flex, I think we might be stuck with some
sort of workarounds that are not the same as Flex in any case because we
are already not 'close' enough to how Flex does things (I really hope I am
wrong, definitely keen to see your solution).