> When we built Santuario v1.7.3, we never had to update
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to make the build work.

Then the circumstances were different, but I can assure that's not new, I've
had to use it in plenty of cases for a very long time. The only possible way of
avoiding it is installing to known locations.

> We would only do that in our run-time environment when running our
> software executables. If the configure script is successfully finding xerces
> from the PKG_CONFIG_PATH, then I'm not clear why the g++ commands
> would fail unless g++ doesn't use the PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

It doesn't. autoconf does, to find the pkgconfig files to then supply the flags
to the g++ commands to use. But they most definitely *cannot* avoid the need to
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The linker might be fine with it, but the exec/run tests
won't.

> Would the "--with-pkgconfigdir" help?

It's required if the pkgconfig files aren't in known places.

-- Scott