FYI, I was able to get Santuario 2.0.4 to build on our RHEL8 VMs in the
following manner using the gcc-12 toolset.

export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/data/${USER}/repos/tp/openssl-102u-install/release/lib/pkgconfig:/data/${USER}/repos/tp/xerces-c-3.2.4-install/release/lib/pkgconfig
export LDFLAGS="-L/data/${USER}/repos/tp/openssl-102u-install/release/lib"
export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/data/${USER}/repos/tp/xalan_c-1.12-gxp-install/release/lib:/data/${USER}/repos/tp/xerces-c-3.2.4-install/release/lib

./configure \
    --prefix=/data/${USER}/repos/tp/santuario-2.0.4-install/release \
    --with-xalan=/data/${USER}/repos/tp/xalan_c-1.12-gxp-install/release \
        --with-openssl
gmake 2>&1 | tee release_build.log
gmake install

Notice the use of the LDFLAGS variable.  I found that to be odd that the -L
/usr/lib64 was being put into the g++ command ahead of the -L to link in my
openssl 1.0.2 installation.  Originally I put the openssl path into
LD_LIBRARY_PATH along with the xerces and xalan paths.  However that didn't
work in the case of openssl.  For some reason the custom openssl path I am
specifying was always being included as a linker path option after -L
/user/lib64 so the build was finding the wrong version of openssl.

There could be other ways of accomplishing this but that is what worked after
trying about 15 different combinations of environment variables and options to
the configure command.

Thanks,

Shawn Fox
Sr Principal SW Engineer
BAE Systems, Inc.
Geospatial eXploitation Products
T: 858-592-5310 office phone number | M: 858-337-2380 | E:
shawn....@baesystems.com
10920 Technology Pl, San Diego, CA