Hi Regina,

chiming in late on this..

On Wednesday, 2009-04-08 16:02:31 +0200, Regina Henschel wrote:

> Leonard Mada schrieb:
>> I would suggest DISTF().
>
> It would be short and reflects the change in tail. But I worry, that
> people will not remember which one is 'right tail' and which one is
> 'left tail'. Therefore I like Jaron's proposal FDISTL more.

Which also gives the user a hint when looking at the list of functions
that there are two functions, FDIST and FDISTL, where maybe one may fit
purpose better than the other.

>  It adds the benefit that all distribution
>> functions could be grouped at some point under a DIST...() name.
>>
>> DISTGAMMA()
>> DISTPOISSON()
>> DISTGAUSS() (reluctantly DISTNORM)
>
> It is not possible to rename the existing ones.

Actually it would be possible to rename functions in the UI to whatever
we liked. However, users are used to certain names, especially for
functions that exist in other products as well.

> But such names could be
> introduced only in addition. That would not only affect Calc's
> interpreter but all export filters too.

Only filters that export textual function names like the SYLK file
format. ODF and MOOXML function names are already defined separately.
Having additional alias names for certain functions would be possible,
needed some work to display those in the function wizard, but after
having entered a formula expression or when loading or importing
a document of course only one name per function could be displayed.

  Eike