Hi Niklas,

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 09:45 +0200, Niklas Nebel wrote:
> On 06/10/09 04:15, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> > I've already sent you an email, but the first thing we need to do is to
> > coordinate our work to avoid duplication of effort.  I have several
> > DataPilot work in the pipeline, so we need to make sure we don't step on
> > each other's toes.
>
> I have to disagree here. If IBM wants to contribute their changes,
> that's great and should be done right away, without waiting for go-oo
> changes that are being held back instead of contributed.

        What makes you think they are being held back ? the issues around
DataPilot that Kohei are working on have been communicated quite clearly
to Sun - eg. i#101328 - how clear can it be: the comment "accepting it
for 3.2" from Kohei; i#100619, i#22029 both assigned to
Kohei, all fitting the mould of work we send up-stream.

        It seems extraordinarily short sighted, and saddening to try and
avoid co-ordination on this; it makes it appear that you almost relish
destroying other people's work by duplication, even when they are trying
hard to work with you - which is a highly unfortunate and unpleasant
position. Strangely, sad to say, this is a friction that is not normally
experienced when dealing with your co-workers.

        Despite your obviously offensive mail; to make it easier for IBM to
review the changes, I've asked Kohei to create a CWS and whack the
patches in there - please don't do the normal witheringly negative critique,
they may not be completely ready yet. FWIW, I'm always amused when I ask for
design review, people prefer instead to rave about commented (or not)
debugging fprintfs instead ;-)

        Then there is this gratuitous hair-curling bit:

> Kohei, if you do your changes outside of openoffice.org, there's always
> the risk of duplicated work. Remember the solver? It's your decision,
> but don't try to inflict the same on others.

        So - the context is that Kohei has asked, politely, and reasonably
asked, to co-ordinate this work so we don't waste effort here - he talks
of a pipeline of changes in data-pilot, of solidifying the code. And then
you turned him down: why all this aggressive talk of deliberate work
duplication ?

        If you choose to dig up the past, lets do it: sure - we remember
the solver, there was my code in there too; we remember your leading
role in destroying a volunteer's spare-time creation, your tone almost
sounds as if you enjoyed that. I had always assumed this appalling
initiative to abuse, divide and stifle the 'Open'Office.org project,
purely in Sun's proprietary interest, was forced by StarDivisions's
(visionary) senior management, rather than being cheer-lead by
individual Sun developers.

        Since I see almost nothing defensible about Sun's past action
here, I would (personally) recommend avoiding raking over it all again;
why don't we just get on with the technical issues around improving
the DataPilot implementation.

        Regards,

                Michael.

--