Hello all,

I would like to share issue that i have discovered while working on
SENTRY-1838 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-1838>(Support
Hive 2.1.1 for sentry 2.0)

With the design changes done in Hive between 2.0.0 through 2.1.1, HiveOperation
is not passed to HiveSemanticAnalyzerHook which is implemented by
sentry. HiveOperation
is very basic information that sentry needs.

I have reported this issue to hive community.(HIVE-17048
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-17048>). This issue is fixed in
Hive 3.0.0. I will work Hive community to back-port it to Hive 2.4 release.

With that said, we can not integrate with Hive 2.1.1 because of above issue.

We have two options here
1. Settle down to Hive 2.0.0 for sentry 2.0.0 release
2. Follow-up with Hive community and get this fix ported to Hive 2.4
release and integrate with hive 2.4.

I give +1 to option-1 and target support for Hive 2.4 in sentry 2.0.1
release.

-Kalyan