Hi Chris, thanks for the very thoughtful email.  In general I agree with
what you are saying.  Some more comments inline.

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 5:54 AM Chris Spiliotopoulos <
chrysanthos.spiliotopou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> marketplaces as well.
>
> My personal feeling is that most of the people using Shindig for a long
> time now are here for its gadget rendering capabilities and the potential
> it provides towards a fully decoupled architecture where app devs can work
> independently from platform devs but eventually everything can work
> together a a whole with minimum orchestration efforts.  This has been my
> personal experience so far anyways.  Having said that, I've always felt
> that the Shindig project had always been to large / broad in functionality
> lacking clearly not dev but rather promotional & awareness efforts.
>
> Another factor that always helped me rest assured in a way regarding its
> usefulness and future  is that major companies like Google, Atlassian and
> others with very popular products have also been using this technology as a
> core component of their infrastructure until now.  Although Google who
> open-sourced the tech seems that it progressively deprecates some of their
> products who had major touch points with the gadgets spec, still keeps it
> alive in products like Gmail, Google apps, etc plus they have been hosting
> the official Gadgets API site for a long time now.  One of the puzzling
> questions though is why these companies (apart from the IBM people who kept
> the project running) were never openly involved with the promotion and
> support of the tech in order to reach broader audiences through real-life
> use cases?  Correct me if I'm wrong but I've come to the conclusion that
> these companies are maintaining probably ports of certain Shindig
> components that have extended them in order to meet their requirements.
> This is easy to speculate since reading the documentation of their products
> shows clearly that there are extensions not supported by Shindig
> out-of-the-box - once I had a chat with a guy working at Jive at the time
> and he told me that they wrote their own security layer around their gadget
> containers.

> I'll have to agree with Darren that due to the robustness of the framework
> most integrators are more than ok with the standard features it has to
> offer and therefore this might have caused the side-effect to the
> maintainers to since there are no new requests / ticket activities then
> this framework has fulfilled its purpose and has become out of fashion.  I
> personally think that gadget tech has a future and a lot to offer when it
> comes down to specific use cases - dashboards and marketplaces being a
> couple for starters.  After I received this mail today morning, I had a
> quick search on the web to see if there are any real alternatives but I
> found none.  Has the plug-n-play model on the web become old fashioned
> then?  Are composable  web apps like dashboards coming to an end?  I don't
> think so.
>
> I have not seen anything else that is as robust as gadgets so far,
although I have heard some buzz around these things called "web components"
that sounded like they would do something similar.  I never really looked
into it though.  I think gadgets are still the best choice when it comes to
allowing 3rd party apps to be integrated into a platform.

> It would be really interesting to get in touch with the aforementioned
> companies and ask them what are their plans regarding the infrastructure
> they have invested on for years.  Will they be switching to something new?
> Are they willing to port the project and maintain it under a different
> perspective?

There are certainly a number of companies that have consumed Shindig and
used it in well established products that won't be going away any time
soon.  Some have chosen to fork the code base, others have not.  And you
are right most that have consumed the technology rarely promote it or drive
features back into it.  When I worked on the team using Shindig in IBM (I
don't any longer) we made a very conscious effort to not fork the code base
and drive whatever fixes and features we needed through the open source
project.  Hence we also spend some time promoting the open source project
as well.  However for the past year or so IBM has slowed down its effort in
Shindig and since I no longer work on the team I can't really speak to what
the future holds.

> Having said all that my personal belief is that gadget technology deserves
> a better luck through proper communication and reach to broader developer
> audiences.  The only way I can see that happening is through a
> modernization / revamp process of marketing / reference / tutorial material
> and transfer to a more popular collaboration environment like GitHub.  My
> personal experience for doing this sort of thing last year through the
> standard Apache process led to a dead-end - I have nothing against formal
> processes, but when things are more about bureaucracy and old-school stuff
> rather than moving forward to the present then I start to lose interest.
> On the other hand, if a bunch of us decided to do something very simple as
> creating a Jekyll site on GitHub with a few tutorials and a number of
> ready-to-use artifacts making use of new age techs like Docker containers
> to start sharing our experiences then we would have more success I guess
> reaching out to younger developers and diverse audiences.  Most of us are
> already doing this for our companies, why not share the foundation work
> with others and start building a community?

We have not officially terminated the project yet, the board will not meet
until the 21st.  If there is enough interest from the community Shindig can
live on.  However I for one would be stepping down as the PMC chair as I
just dont have the time to revamp and drive the project forward anymore.
If there is enough interest than the question becomes does Shindig remain
an Apache project or something outside of the foundation itself.  (We can
move the code to GitHub by the way even as an Apache project).  I guess
that would be up to the people who want to keep the project going.