Hello Isuranga

Welcome! The time period for student applications is from March 12 to
March 27 [1]. In the meantime, it is a good idea to get familiar with
the project. An important part will be the Open Geospatial Consortium
(OGC) standards, in particular (for this project):

  * OGC Catalog Services 3.0 - General model
  * OGC® Catalogue Services 3.0 Specification - HTTP Protocol Binding

Those specifications can be freely downloaded from the OGC web site [2].
The wikipedia article [3] is also convenient for a short introduction.
As a next step, you can try to run Hao's prototype.

    Regards,

        Martin

[1] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
[2] http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/cat