I think usercontroll is here the essential point. Serialization FS -> Sling
does not have this problem since it completely unfolds the structure.
Looking at CQ as sample does come up with some usecases where you want to
handle complete structures in one file for a proper overview like the
dialog definitions. Like stated earlier vault seems to have this
capabilities but it is just implictly bound to specific nodetypes which
might be confusing for devs. An IDE tool covering this whould need to mark
constellations that do not cover the current behavior (so FS currently has
another structure then a fresh checkout would create) and have all the
tooling required to transform the structure and/or the
serializationdefinition.

Dominik