On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 4:52 AM, Ian Boston <i...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (I might have errors in the CQL, Cassandra schema and the functions need
> proper escaping)
>

> Example 1:
> Zero depth tree wiht UUID as the rowid or key.
>
> URL /content/cassandra/pictures/13f58d5c95c70b6f
>
> then the column family is pictures and the URL -> ROWID function just
> results in the ROWID being 13f58d5c95c70b6f and
>
> String cql = mapOfCassandraMappers.get("pictures").getCQL("pictures", "
> 13f58d5c95c70b6f")
> System.err.println(cql);
>
> where
> String getCQL(String cf, String path) {
>     return "select * from "+cf+" where rowid = '"+path+"'";
> }
>
> yields:
> select * from pictures where rowid = '13f58d5c95c70b6f'
>

> 13f58d5c95c70b6f would be generated by the application when the user
> created a new picture (by upload).
>

> Example 2:
> User specified
>
> URL /content/cassandra/catalogue/capacitors/electrolytic/axial/16v/10uf
>
> String cql = mapOfCassandraMappers.get("catalogue").getCQL("catalogue", "
> capacitors/electrolytic/axial/16v/10uf")
> System.err.println(cql);
>
> where
> String getCQL(String cf, String path) {
>     MessageDigest md = MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA1");
>     String rowID = Base64.encode(md.finish(path.getBytes("UTF-8")));
>     return "select * from "+cf+" where rowid = '"+rowID+"'";
> }
>
> yields
>
> select * from pictures where rowid = 'NzdlZmU4OTZmNGM4MzMwYzZ'
>
> If you want to find the parent then
>
> mapOfCassandraMappers.get("catalogue").getCQL("catalogue", "
> capacitors/electrolytic/axial/16v")
>
> select * from pictures where rowid = 'ZGFzZGZzZnNkYWZzYWRmc2R'
>
> And if the parent is stored in the property parent then
>
> select * from pictures where parent = 'ZGFzZGZzZnNkYWZzYWRmc2R'
>
> will generate a list of children. (Not sure about performance)
>

> Example 3:
> User is allowed to enter the RowID directly (identical to Example 1
> URL
>
> /content/cassandra/cannesfilmfestival/TomCruiseCassino-20130402112345-ieb.jpg
>
> where
> String getCQL(String cf, String path) {
>     return "select * from "+cf+" where rowid = '"+path+"'";
> }
>
> yields:
> select * from pictures where rowid = '
> TomCruiseCassino-20130402112345-ieb.jpg'

This should be corrected as
select * from cannesfilmfestival where rowid = '
TomCruiseCassino-20130402112345-ieb.jpg'

> Does that make sense ?

Hi Ian,
I was in fact practicing some cql stuff in related to this response (with
cassandra cql terminal). This is quite a wonderful explanation for a new
comer like me. Thank you very much for the explanation again. Now it really
makes sense.

Other than the zero depth approach, I believe users will be more
comfortable with Example 2 approach.
Shall we go ahead with it ?

--
Thanks