On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org> wrote:
> I definitely agree that we should try to get Sling 6 out asap - and I think
> we're pretty close to that. Apart maybe from a release of one or two
> additional bundles, we need to release the discovery stuff (I plan to do
> this end of this week/early next week) and the new admin login stuff Felix
> is working on (hopefully this needs just a few weeks from now). Once these
> releases are through we can release Sling 6.
> So I think let's look at the snapshot dependencies in launchpad, see if
> these artifacts have some urgent open issues, fix them (if there are any)
> and then release the stuff.

Sounds good to me. I though we were still far from releasing, so Sling
7 makes me happier than Sling 6.1 .

> For the build server problems, I'm totally unhappy with the Jenkins
> installation (and this since years) - apart from spamming the mailing list,
> the value right now seems really very low. Though I have no idea how to
> change this...

Perhaps we can use Travis for that. I know that Oak does that [1] and
I've set up a proof-of-concept some time ago at [2] but didn't update
it in quite some time. The advantage of Travis is that it always
starts with a fresh VM for each build, so there's no problematic
master-slave communication, which is the #1 problem with our current
Jenkins setup. On the other hand, it doesn't do all the graphs that
Jenkins does and does not publish binary artifacts.

To set up a Travis build we need a .travis.yml file in the root of the
repository, see [3] for what I used.

I can take care of setting up the .travis.yml file to make sure that
Sling builds on Travis. Then we need to find out how to authorize
Travis to build apache/sling ; OAK did it so it's possible.

Robert

[1]: https://travis-ci.org/apache/jackrabbit-oak
[2]: https://travis-ci.org/rombert/sling/
[3]: