Just an update. The issue has now been fixed on Slf4j side and a new
release 1.7.6 was made which contains the fix. So this completes the
#3 approach mentioned previously.

With this there is just a small issue that while Slf4j is getting
initialized the log message would get lost as at that time NOP Loggers
are used. Once initialization is complete the log message from such
loggers would be handled in default way. To fix this we would need to
control the startup order and get the Commons Log bundle started
first.
Chetan Mehrotra