Hi Carsten,

On Sunday, September 21, 2014, Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
wrote:
> I think we need a new approach to describe a deliverable or
installation...
> ...It would be great to have all the
> information in a single place to make it more understandable but also to
> allow for new ways of operations...

I agree, and the Crankstart launcher [1] is exactly about this. But you're
right that agreeing on the *model* that describes the Sling instances is
much more important than whatever code interprets this model.

I much prefer structured text formats (either plain text or yaml) over XML
for such things, as they're more friendly to hack and especially more
diff-friendly which is very important in a devops view. But that's a detail
in terms of defining the model.

How about creating some commented example definition files in svn (even if
we have no code to run them so far), so we can look at each other's ideas
and come up with a merged model of the good ideas on those files?

For crankstart I can provide these files as examples that demonstrate the
model features:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/contrib/crankstart/launcher/src/test/resources/launcher-test.crank.txt

https://github.com/ArtyomStetsenko/sling-devops-experiments/blob/master/crankstart/sling-minion.crank.txt

-Bertrand