Based on the discussion which initiated this discussion (mainly the
settings service depending on the startup handler), I think we can:

a) remove the dependency from settings service to the startup handler (I
just did this as part of SLING-4892)
b) revisit all usages in our code base of the startup handler. Maybe we
can change it as well and don't need it and make the bundles easily
reusable in other scenaries.
c) forget about the readiness detection in general again. We have a
working solution for launchpad which gives our users what they need.

Additional comment to b) For example in the resource resolver
implementation, instead of using a generic ready service, we have a
configuration telling the resource resolver implementation to "wait" for
specific (configured) resource providers - which is a very specific
variant of the readiness detection. I think this is a better approach as
it is much easier to configure and avoids to come up with a really
complicated readiness implementation and configuration of such a beast.

Adobe Research Switzerland