On Sat, 2016-10-01 at 09:25 +0200, Oliver Lietz wrote:
> On Saturday 01 October 2016 01:54:17 Robert Munteanu wrote:
> > On Fri, 2016-09-30 at 12:55 +0000, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> > > i assume in samples/ there are also some candidates.
>

> Hi Robert,
>
> > I think it would be a good time to make a distinction between
> > 'real'
> > samples, i.e. here's how you do X with Sling and demos, which are
> > complete applications.
> >
> > For samples I see for instance
> >
> > - custom-login-form
> > - path-based-rtp
> > - inplace-integration-test
> >
> > while the following are full-fledged demos
> >
> > - espblog
> > - fling
> > - slingshot
> >
> > The samples are IMO fine to be kept there as long as they build and
> > still showcase good practices. With the demos though we should be
> > more
> > conservative and consider them for the attic. And perhaps move them
> > somewhere else?
>

> that doesn't make sense or I don't understand your point probably.
> The fling and slingshot samples/demos are under active development.
> The
> Fling[1] sample shows several features of Sling, e.g. scripting with
> Thymeleaf, Sling Models, Sling Validation, Messaging and of course
> some low-
> level stuff. So why should they go to attic?

I did not suggest that any of the demos go to the attic, but I might
not have been very clear in my wording :-)

So let me put it this way:

There are tons of individual sling _features_ we may want to showcase (
samples ). There should be fewer ways we want to showcase sling
_applications_ ( demos ).

The reasons for fewer demos are:

- demos typically need to be updated to latest dependencies/slingstart
to be relevant
- demos are a larger investment in time
- multiple demos lead to confusion - at some point in the future we
might want to have _the_ reference Sling demo to point the users to

That means that the bar for demos is (again, IMHO) set higher than for
samples.

It does not mean that any of the current demos should be outright moved
to the attic, but that we should carefully consider which demos we want
to keep.

Thanks,