+1 to the idea of removing the deprecation
-0 on the PR

Without the deprecation, how will a developer know that they need to
configure the whitelist? While the deprecation wasn't perfect, at least it
gave the developer the sense that they were doing something which should be
avoided. It is unfortunate that deprecation in Java is such a binary
concept, but it is what it is.

I think we have two choices:

2. Keep the deprecation and whitelist and improve the JavaDoc

No deprecation and keeping the whitelist just seems like a recipe for
confusion.

Justin