yes, the current implementation of the fsresource provider is no longer any
simple.

it currently supports three (configurable) modes:
1. simple mapping of folders and binary files from filesystem (this was the
starting point of fsresource)
2. reading structured resource data from JSON files and folders in the same way
it is done by the content loader
3. reading structured resource data from FileVault XML files as it's stored in
content packages

and features:
a) sending resource events if any of these files are changed in runtime
b) implement some caching to speed things up
c) support not only the Sling Resource API, but also simulate an underlying JCR
API for code that runs on top which is still using the JCR API for cases where
also the Sling Resource API would suffice but cannot be changed because it's
part of a product...

so the use case ranges from simple mapping of a bunch of static files to
full-blown emulation of a JCR repository out of a complex project structure in
the filesystem e.g. for usage in a development environemnt (see [0]).

---

removing the embedded json libraries should be simple, it was only for
convenience when the fsresource bundle is to deployed afterwards to an existing
instance.
but the dependencies to all those JCR-related bundles remains as long as all
three modes and features need to be supported.

i'm not sure if implementing a new fsresource provider e.g. only for 1.+2. from
scratch would be the best way. there is a lot of special logic for edge cases
esp. in 2. to make sure it behaves the same as the content loader which we have
then to duplicate another time. it should be possible to split the existing
fsresource into a core and extension bundle as it's somewhat separated already
due to the different supported modes 1./2./3., and the virtual JCR API support
could be made configurable as well.

supporting Java 8 features for the filesystem changes detection would be a good
thing; last time i was looking into it i failed to make good use of it due to
strange implementation differences on windows and unix file systems (and those
differences where covered by the JavaDocs). but maybe there is a way to do it
right.

stefan

[0]
https://adapt.to/2017/en/schedule/ease-development-with-apache-sling-file-system-resource-provider.html