I can't seem to find the conversation I was thinking of but this one
is close enough.
Can we have more clarity on when a JIRA issue is mandatory?  Or the
reverse -- give clarity that small bugs don't need a JIRA issue.  My
goal is to remove/reduce barriers for contributors as much as
possible.

I'd like to give a specific example of a simple & obscure NPE in
QueryComponent related to exception handling:
https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/2354
Yes I was the one who asked for a JIRA to be created but I felt bad
doing so (for something so trivial) and was only doing it because I
recall one of us recently saying/suggesting all bugs need a JIRA.

~ David