On 2011-09-13 22:23, dar...@chaosreigns.com wrote:

We waste so much time backporting to the last branch.  And trunk has been
incredibly stable.  I hate to see releases that aren't taken from trunk,
seems like a waste of time and effort.

for once I agree with Darxus :)
There are a few usefull additions/fixes in 3.4 trunk which won't ever get backported and it would be a pity to have to wait

+1

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DevelopmentMode
What that actually *says* is entirely compatible with not branching.
It says trunk is *usually* commit-then-review, but temporarily switches
to review-then-commit shortly before release.

It looks like the method doesn't come down as a rule from Apache, so we
could just say, since we're so damn good at keeping trunk stable, we'll do
all our releases from trunk, and keep it commit-then-review.

I'd +1 to cut a "beta1" out of trunk.