Hey Nicholas,

Thanks for bringing this up. There are a few dimensions to this... one is
that it's actually precedurally difficult for us to close pull requests.
I've proposed several different solutions to ASF infra to streamline the
process, but thus far they haven't been open to any of my ideas:

The more important thing, maybe, is how we want to deal with this
culturally. And I think we need to do a better job of making sure no pull
requests go unattended (i.e. waiting for committer feedback). If patches go
stale, it should be because the user hasn't responded, not us.

Another thing is that we should, IMO, err on the side of explicitly saying
"no" or "not yet" to patches, rather than letting them linger without
attention. We do get patches where the user is well intentioned, but it is
a feature that doesn't make sense to add, or isn't well thought out or
explained, or the review effort would be so large it's not within our
capacity to look at just yet.

Most other ASF projects I know just ignore these patches. I'd prefer if we
took the approach of politely explaining why in the current form the patch
isn't acceptable and closing it (potentially w/ tips on how to improve it
or narrow the scope).

- Patrick