Now Spark and hive integration is a very nice feature. But I am wondering
what the long term roadmap is for spark integration with hive. Both of these
two projects are undergoing fast improvement and changes. Currently, my
understanding is that spark hive sql part relies on hive meta store and
basic parser to operate, and the thrift-server intercept hive query and
replace it with its own engine.

With every release of hive, there need a significant effort on spark part to
support it.

For the metastore part, we may possibly replace it with hcatalog. But given
the dependency of other parts on hive, e.g., metastore, thriftserver,
hcatlog may not be able to help much.

Does anyone have any insight or idea in mind?

Thanks.

Zhan Zhang