Thanks Dean, for the information.

Hive-on-spark is nice. Spark sql has the advantage to take the full advantage
of spark and allows user to manipulate the table as RDD through native spark
support.

When I tried to upgrade the current hive-0.13.1 support to hive-0.14.0. I found
the hive parser is not compatible any more. In the meantime, those new feature
introduced in hive-0.14.1, e.g, ACID, etc, is not there yet. In the meantime,
spark-0.12 also
has some nice feature added which is supported by thrift-server too, e.g.,
hive-0.13, table cache, etc.

Given that both have more and more features added, it would be great if user
can take advantage of both. Current, spark sql give us such benefits partially,
but I am wondering how to keep such integration in long term.

Thanks.

Zhan Zhang

On Nov 21, 2014, at 3:12 PM, Dean Wampler <deanwamp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't comment on plans for Spark SQL's support for Hive, but several
> companies are porting Hive itself onto Spark:
>
> http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2014/11/apache-hive-on-apache-spark-the-first-demo/
>
> I'm not sure if they are leveraging the old Shark code base or not, but it
> appears to be a fresh effort.
>
> dean
>
> Dean Wampler, Ph.D.
> Author: Programming Scala, 2nd Edition
> <http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920033073.do> (O'Reilly)
> Typesafe <http://typesafe.com>
> @deanwampler <http://twitter.com/deanwampler>
> http://polyglotprogramming.com
>
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Zhan Zhang <zhaz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Now Spark and hive integration is a very nice feature. But I am wondering
>> what the long term roadmap is for spark integration with hive. Both of
>> these
>> two projects are undergoing fast improvement and changes. Currently, my
>> understanding is that spark hive sql part relies on hive meta store and
>> basic parser to operate, and the thrift-server intercept hive query and
>> replace it with its own engine.
>>
>> With every release of hive, there need a significant effort on spark part
>> support it.
>>
>> For the metastore part, we may possibly replace it with hcatalog. But given
>> the dependency of other parts on hive, e.g., metastore, thriftserver,
>> hcatlog may not be able to help much.
>>
>> Does anyone have any insight or idea in mind?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Zhan Zhang
>>

>> --

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE