Using our ASF git repository as a working area for design docs, it
seems potentially concerning to me. It's difficult process wise
because all commits need to go through committers and also, we'd
pollute our git history a lot with random incremental design updates.

The git history is used a lot by downstream packagers, us during our
QA process, etc... we really try to keep it oriented around code
patches:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=spark.git;a=shortlog

Committing a polished design doc along with a feature, maybe that's
something we could consider. But I still think JIRA is the best
location for these docs, consistent with what most other ASF projects
do that I know.