I actually don't totally see why we can't use Google Docs provided it
is clearly discoverable from the JIRA. It was my understanding that
many projects do this. Maybe not (?).

If it's a matter of maintaining public record on ASF infrastructure,
perhaps we can just automate that if an issue is closed we capture the
doc content and attach it to the JIRA as a PDF.

My sense is that in general the ASF infrastructure policy is becoming
more and more lenient with regards to using third party services,
provided the are broadly accessible (such as a public google doc) and
can be definitively archived on ASF controlled storage.

- Patrick