Hi Jerry,

Take a look at this example:
https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/streaming-kafka-integration.html#tab_scala_2

The offsets are needed because as RDDs get generated within spark the
offsets move further along. With direct Kafka mode the current offsets are
no more persisted in Zookeeper but rather within Spark itself. If you want
to be able to use zookeeper based monitoring tools to keep track of
progress, then this is needed.

In my specific case we need to persist Kafka offsets externally so that we
can continue from where we left off after a code deployment. In other
words, we need exactly-once processing guarantees across code deployments.
Spark does not support any state persistence across deployments so this is
something we need to handle on our own.

Hope that helps. Let me know if not.

Thanks!
Amit